Did you know that a camping vacation is the best vacation bargain going? Think of it, you can travel where you want, stay as long as you desire, sleep in your own bed and “be home” away from home – all for less money than a standard hotel vacation.
Use camping websites like camping.com to find just the right campground to suit your amenity expectations. There are also a number of websites popping up that provide consumer rating of campgrounds, like camprate.com.
Even so, we are always looking for ways to save. Check out these suggestions to save yourself some camping cash:
• Keep your tires properly inflated. Not only is it safer, deters tire failure, and maximizes tire life it can save you at the pump. Proper inflation can save you up to 3% on your fuel mileage. Consider purchasing a heavy duty, reliable tire gauge, use the manufacturer’s recommendation for tire pressure, and check tires when they are “cold” (road friction heats tires).
• Almost always you’ll find less expensive fuel “in town” as opposed to the highway-side stations. If you can, venture into town to save on a fill-up.
• Pack plenty of tasty and filling snacks and beverages to enjoy on during your travels. Not only will this save you time from stopping and searching for a suitable snack spot, you’ll eat healthier and save money, too!
• Prepare some (or all) of your meals in your RV. Coffee and rolls outside the camper or a full breakfast on the campfire make for a relaxing morning. Make sandwiches to take on hikes, to the beach or other mid-day adventures. Create a delicious dinner at the camp and dine al fresco, fireside, at the picnic table.
• Take advantage of park activities. Chances are the campground has a swimming pools, sport courts, walking trails – maybe even planned activities such as crafts and games.
• Purchase items such as batteries prior to leaving home. Most likely tourist areas will have those items at a higher price.
Plan ahead and perhaps you’ll have extra money to spend on other goodies. Can’t beat that!!